5/21/11

Life expectancy of end stage renal failure with dialysis?


Life expectancy of end stage renal failure with dialysis?Hello,

My sister is 48 years old and is in end stage renal failure from diabetes. She has severe diabetes (blood sugars have ranged from 23 - 700+) and also has very high blood pressure (200/110 sometimes, 170/90 average) Hepatitis C and all of the diabetes complications. She takes 26 prescriptions a day already. She gets pneumonia frequently and has had congestive heart failure. She has also had some mini strokes and has global brain atrophy. She is in a nursing home and I had to rush her to the ER on Monday, she was very swollen and her blood oxygen was 73 and they did a central line catheter right in the ER to start dialysis that night. They did surgery for a fistula yesterday, but her veins are shot, so they did a graft. She has had dialysis every day since Monday and they are sending her back to the nursing home today.

I am her Power of Attorney since our mother is also in a home with congestive heart failure and diabetes. My other family have all died. Our dad was 39, his sister 42, their dad 47 and my mom's dad 52 all of heart attacks. My other sister died at 43 from a brain aneursym and my brother died at 49 from congestive heart failure, multiple organ failure, diabetes and multiple sclerosis.

I'm not sure why she even wants to do dialysis, but I'm going along with it. She has a lot of brain damage so I'm not sure what all she understands other than she knows she will die without it. I'm wondering if I should have Hospice talk to her since they are more of an expert on end of life. I have a hard time even talking (or typing about it) since we've already had to take my aunt, sister and brother off life support. She has a living will that says she wants no "life saving measures" taken, but dialysis seems in conflict with that. Should I get her paperwork rewritten? I just keep waiting for the phone to ring and it be the same call I've taken so many times before. I just don't know how long she will live with all the complications she has and I am a nervous wreck and having heart arrhythmmia issues myself now (I'm 45). I don't know what to do, about anything or if I should just not worry about it and wait for the call.

Posted by clock
Hi Jennifer,

Your sister has every right to live even with brain damage etc. Yes, you should "go along". Not only "go along" you should encourage her to live the best she can and for as long as she wants to.

Many people on dialysis live for years. Live long and productive lives.

Posted by okarol
I am sorry you have to deal with this. It's a very difficult subject, but since your sister appears to be able to choose, then you will probably need to support her decision. Dialysis is considered to be life support, since she would die without it. She will ultimately decide if her quality of life is worth the discomfort and possible complications on hemodialysis. You may want to learn more by posting on the support forum at www.ihatedialysis.com. My daughter was on hemo for 3 years before she got her kidney transplant and the forum has been really helpful. Best of luck to you and your family.

Add your own answer in the comments! Learn basic information on kidney disease from the experts at Kidney Disease Info Blog.


Orignal From: Life expectancy of end stage renal failure with dialysis?

No comments:

Post a Comment