5/13/11

Kidney Disease: My kittens blood work showed for Kidney failure?


My kittens blood work showed for Kidney failure?I took him to the vet Tuesday because he was lethargic and throwing up constantly. They ran blood work and said his numbers were very high and has acute kidney failure. They transferred me to an emergency hospital and got him on fluids and things like that. The next day he was doing much better, but they still could not figure out why he was having all these problems in his abdomens. I took him to a different vet so they could do exploratory surgery on him and a Kidney biopsy. His abdomens were fine, but they found his kidneys to be extremely large. We are waiting for his results which come out Tuesday. He is an indoor cat and the vet kept asking me if he got into anti-freeze or lilies...which we don't have in our house. Im just really concerned about my kitten. Right now they have him in quarantine until his test results come back because they think it might be an infectious disease...im extremely worried..has anyone every went through something like this or similar that can give me advice?? thank you

Posted by dammitolkittasaurus
Here's the thing, usually young animals just don't go into kidney failure without an outside cause. Are you completely sure that he couldn't have eaten anything that is not food, like ibuprofen, aspirin, etc? I think that what they have him in quarantine for is suspicion of feline infectious peritonitis (FIP). Usually there are an array of symptoms, and it is hard to diagnose because the tests are iffy and don't necessarily confirm the illness. With the kidneys being large, it could just be pyelonephritis (kidney infection), but that's usually pretty straight forward to diagnose. There are other possibilities, of course. It sounds fairly serious, but if he truly improved a great deal with the fluids, it is a good sign. If he does have FIP, I'm afraid there is no hope of survival, but it doesn't sound like a classic case to me. I would think it's a toxin of some kind, or an infectious process-both having fairly good prognosis in a young animal. Try not to worry, but visit him every day if you can, it will build up his spirit. Also, if you can think of anything at all he could have eaten, you must tell the vet right away.

Add your own answer in the comments! Learn basic information on kidney disease from the experts at Kidney Disease Info Blog.


Orignal From: Kidney Disease: My kittens blood work showed for Kidney failure?

No comments:

Post a Comment