5/17/11

Kidney Disease: Can kidney stones cause problems without moving?


Can kidney stones cause problems without moving?Hey guys, I'm 24 years old. A few months ago I had an ultrasound and they discovered kidney stones. I've been having some mild pain in my back and sides and gross blood in my urine recently that comes and goes and microscopic blood that is always there according to the lab tests. There is no infection. I was wondering if kidney stones can cause problems even when you're not passing them. Can they create symptoms just by sitting in your kidney or by them maybe moving around a bit inside the kidney? I've seen a few different docs about this now. All the docs say I'm too young for cancer and that the symptoms would only be in advanced disease which would be impossible cuz I had the ultrasound a few months ago. Thanks guys
my question is if they can cause symptoms by being in your kidney or moving around in your kidney.. nowhere else. that's all i want to know. thanks

Posted by cloud
it would hurts your kidney i think

Posted by chapaton
Yes, kidney stones can cause damage if they get stuck, say in your ureter. This can be called hydronephrosis, if they block up the outlet. Though, I believe they would have seen th is on Ultrasound.

Posted by jit
if small enough they may pass after regularily drinking lots of water,
otherwise they grow in size until they can be shattered sonically

Posted by kim1980tx
Hey it's me again. It was about 3.5 years ago so I some of the details are a little fuzzy. I was 22. I started having really bad back pain (it sort of felt like something was cramping up in my back, but a sharp pain too) so I went to the Dr. I was in the military at the time and the Doc said I had probably just pulled something doing PT and referred me to Physical therapy and gave me some Motrin. Needless to say it just got worse. Then one day I went to the bathroom and my urine looked like coca cola. So I went back to the Dr and they said that I must have a UTI and gave me antibiotics. After I was done with the antibiotics I was still urinating the same amount of blood so back to the Doc, and they still insisted I had a UTI and gave me different anibiotics. Two weeks later still no change, except the pain in my back was killing me and I'd lost about 15 pounds in 3 weeks. Finally they sent me to a urologist and I had a CT (I think it was a CT) scan. That's when they said I had several small kidney stones in one of my kidneys (and no UTI). They gave me a shot in the butt of some pain killers and sent me home with a big bottle of Percocet. They also gave me this strainer thing that they wanted me to pee through so I could find the stone, I passed on that, I didn't see the point, what was I going to keep it for a suvenier? After a while they pain went away and I had another CT scan and the stones were gone. They also gave me a cystoscopy and an ultrasound afterwards, I honestly don't know why, I think they felt bad for not figuring out I had kidney stones for 2.5 months and wanted to make sure they were really gone.

Add your own answer in the comments! Learn basic information on kidney disease from the experts at Kidney Disease Info Blog.


Orignal From: Kidney Disease: Can kidney stones cause problems without moving?

No comments:

Post a Comment