5/6/11

How long does someone have to live if they are in kidney failure, and are not on dialysis?


How long does someone have to live if they are in kidney failure, and are not on dialysis?My grandmother is in kidney failure and doesn't want to do dialysis. She got hospice last week and I am wondering how long she has to live. No one gives me a straight answer. I know we aren't GOD but there has to be an estimation for how long you can live without you kidneys. My mom said that she is in stage 4 or 5 renal failure. Oh and she has a plethora of things wrong with her on top of that. I just want to know so I can prepare myself.

Posted by joeybsmash
A day, a few more maybe.

Posted by Patrick Mcdermott
This is quite a personal question, and probable varies from one patient to the next. i would not take any advice from this page. for my questions and inexpensive medical help, i use RingADoc.com. they are physicians ready to help in the most inexpensive way. check it out.

Posted by formerly_bob
It varies substantially, so its not exactly predictable. People that discontinue dialysis start to feel extremely ill in 4-5 days, and typically die in 6-10 days, but a person that is in otherwise decent health and with a little bit of kidney function might live up to 5-6 weeks.

Posted by funnygarcia
I agree with another responder.
It truly depends on other conditions, the extent of her kidney failure, age, etc.
Someone in total failure (stage 5) will feel ill in a matter of days.
Expect edema (fluid under the skin), respiratory issues (fluid in the lungs), sleepy/drowsy, eventually comatose and death.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments! Learn basic information on kidney disease from the experts at Kidney Disease Info Blog.


Orignal From: How long does someone have to live if they are in kidney failure, and are not on dialysis?

No comments:

Post a Comment