5/21/11

CRF Diet for a cat?


CRF Diet for a cat?Thanks for everyone's support. My 16y/o cat was finally diagnosed with chronic renal failure yesterday (that's what I expected). Thankfully, we seemed to have caught it in the beginning stages. I've been doing a ton of online reading about it, and have a friend whose cat has been doing great after being diagnosed with CRF 2 years ago (and has worse kidneys) so I'm feeling ok so far.

She will be getting fluids daily for starters and we'll spread that out as much as possible later. Vet also prescribed 1/4 pepcid 2x daily, to continue giving her laxatives, and sent me home with science diet k/d dry and wet. She won't eat the wet, she hates the sd brand. She is eating the dry, though. Prior, she was eating all canned diet of Fancy Feast after she rejected Wellness.

In my reading, some things say low protein/phosphorus is the way to go, but others say that low protein is an outdated way of thinking for CRF cats, and that quality protein is ok. She's already skinny :\
So, can anyone supply clear articles that might help me understand the controversy about protein here? Any info on how to make this treatment cheaper/more convenient would help too. Any good info at all.

My biggest concern is finding something that she will actually eat that will help her, because she's a picky eater to the extreme.

Anyone who can share CRF experiences would help too :)

Thanks everyone
Oh yeah, PS, I can feed my 2 cats canned seperately, but I can't fathom a way to keep dry food seperate. If the other cat eats the k/d, is that alright? He is currently on an all canned diet of Wellness brand.

Posted by old cat lady
I don't know if I have responded to you before about this. I would refer you to "Homeopathic Care for Cats and Dogs", Don Hamilton, DVM. North Atlantic Books, Berkeley, CA. 1999.

The book is available in most libraries as it is quite widely read. Dr. Hamilton has a section, "Kidney Failure" starting on page 213, discussing fluid therapy, kidney "numbers" and diet.

There is nothing to recommend any Science Diet food. My cat, who lived to be 22+, had a diet of home-prepared raw meat throughout her kidney "problem". I do not believe any dry food is right for kidney problems as even in cat's with healthy kidneys it is a strain on them not to have moisture in their food.

I am sorry your cat doesn't like the Wellness which is very good quality. Maybe you need to persist with it. I also use Natural Balance canned foods (along with raw meat). I like the chicken and chicken liver and turkey and giblet. I do not give the "fishy" varieties of the NB. My cats like the Instincts lamb and the venison in that line. Evanger's didn't go over with my cats. I also use the Avoderm chicken canned.

Posted by urbantigers79
Have you come across this site?

http://www.felinecrf.org/

It's often referred to as the CRF bible as it is an excellent resource covering every aspect of caring for a CRF cat.

Posted by Kat
Your cat can live many, many healthy years if you support its system properly.


I believe that the low protein/phosphorus is very outdated and in some research it has actually proved to quicken the kidney failure. Cats can only absorb nutrients from meat protien sources so feeding a low protien diet certainly inhibits the entire body from working properly.

I also belive Science Diet is just about the worst thing vets offer as a solution to people with sick pets. And dry food is also terrible for a crf cat. You really need to keep a crf cat on a wet food diet.

The following websites will help you in your search for education on how to care for your cat with CRF

http://www.felinecrf.com/

http://www.felinecrf.org/

http://www.felineinstincts.com/articles/Felineinstinctsrenalfailureinformation.html

http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/kidney_formula.php

Posted by kananaskis95
You've gotten a ton of links.

Basically, protein is still the way to go for your CRF (is it failure or actually just insufficiency?) cat and your other cat.

Canned food is the way to go for both cats

Phosphorous levels can be important but you can easily find foods that aren't too high in phosphorous by limiting fish. And if it becomes a problem you can get a prescription for phosphorous binders from your vet.

Honestly, prescription diets are horrible, and many CRI/CRF cats do well for a long time on a good diet with the possible supplementation of fluids

Add your own answer in the comments! Learn basic information on kidney disease from the experts at Kidney Disease Info Blog.


Orignal From: CRF Diet for a cat?

No comments:

Post a Comment