5/20/11

Best friend's kitten died of cancer. What can I do to comfort her?


Best friend's kitten died of cancer. What can I do to comfort her?I have a best friend and I live miles and mile away from her in England, while she is in Ukraine.
When I went there for the summer holidays she got a kitten. The name was Amur. She loved him to bits, she always played with him and couldn't absolutely think of parting with him.
( If that might help, I am 12 and my friend is 13).
A week ago I found out that the kitten can barely walk, cannot meow and is very poorly because there is something wrong with his kidneys.
Today, a week later, a came home from school and in my skype chat she said that the kitten is having an operation.
I was shocked, worried....etc.
Then I saw that the message was old. Her status said: "Just yesterday he was here, but today he is...gone."
So as soon as I saw that I immediately asked her what happened. She told me that he died. I am not sure if he died of the operation or just because of that cancer.
Soon she sent me an audio file recorded with her phone. It was her father talking to the vet.
They made scans and everything and the verdict was cancer.
I needed to go have dinner so I apologized and left.
When I got back, she was not online.
I thought it was rational so without thinking I called her house phone.
She answered, covered in tears, and I told her how sorry I was. I told her to calm down and just the comforting things you would normally say.
I really think I shouldn't have disturbed the person. Then after 1 minute of talking and 15 seconds of silence she said that she was going to bed and left.
I really feel the need to comfort her and show her that not all is lost.
But I am really bad at this.
The girl has really suffered.
First she had a cat. Lived up to the age of four and died of kidney disease.
Had two turtles: one died of flu the other one was sold.
Had a hamster: died of age.
Rabbit: died for unknown to me reason.
Had another cat which I don't know much about.
Now this. This really worried me since I have 2 kittens of my own, but I don't want to speak about this to her.
I am also supposed to go to a party tomorrow but I don't want her to know.
Also her parents said that they are never having pets again.
Please guys advise me one how to comfort the poor girl.
Thanks
~Ice

Posted by Kelsey
Just do as much as possible to comfort your friend.When my cat died I was very sad too.After awhile I got a new cat.

Posted by Meghz
Send her a package via snail mail. Put candy in, put a card in it, maybe a copy of a chicken soup for cat lover's soul book, maybe a movie or an itunes gift card if you have the cash. Her parents will probably calm down about the new "no pets" rule eventually. But having to pay to put a kitten through that is a lot of money and a big deal. They were probably just stressed out and upset when that was said.

Posted by Taylor
well i thought my kitten was going to die but I found out that they aren't sick after all

anyway, I was really sad and angry at one point, but it made me feel a lot better when people felt some sympathy for me. just try to understand her loss, but don't remind her too much about it.

anyway, when you're that sad nothing else matters much. and if you try too hard to make her feel better you may just irritate her. again just be understanding and let her know if she ever needs a friend or someone to talk to you're there for her. your friend may need some space because she may want to be left alone for now; use your best judgment

Add your own answer in the comments! Learn basic information on kidney disease from the experts at Kidney Disease Info Blog.


Orignal From: Best friend's kitten died of cancer. What can I do to comfort her?

No comments:

Post a Comment