5/14/11

Can I work with animals if I've got kidney disease?


Can I work with animals if I've got kidney disease?I recently got back some lab work that suggests that my kidneys are not functioning properly. I'm going to the doctor in a few weeks to begin more testing to find out how bad things are. I also work at a pet store and I am responsible for handling various animals. On any given day I may remove a dead fish with my hands (its quicker than using a net) and be bitten by a few hamsters. I also sometimes handle lizards. There are even some days where I have to change the bedding of the small mammals and other days I change the bedding of the birds. The birds also bite at times, although I've never been bitten by one.
I read that the kidney disease can cause my immune system to weaken, but I believe that I'm still in the early stages of every thing. Anyway, is it safe for me to continue my job working with the animals?

Posted by sunflowers
You will really need to discuss this with your doctor, but I don't see why not.

Posted by Gracinda
Yes, it is very important to stay healthy, and avoid diseases when you have kidney diseases. This doesn't mean you shouldn't work in a pet store, but perhaps you need to wear gloves to protect your hands, etc.

What do you think? Answer below! Learn basic information on kidney disease from the experts at Kidney Disease Info Blog.


Orignal From: Can I work with animals if I've got kidney disease?

No comments:

Post a Comment